Western Economic Diversification
Western Diversification Program (WDP)
Program SummaryThrough its Inclusive Innovation Agenda, the Government of Canada is dedicated to building on three core priority areas:
- People – developing Canadian talent and the workforce of tomorrow;
- Technology – fostering leading-edge technologies; and,
- Companies – growing world-class companies and accelerating growth.
Western Economic Diversification Canada (WD) works to advance these priority areas by making strategic investments in supports and services that enable western Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), including Indigenous businesses, to be more innovative, productive, more export-oriented, and to create good quality jobs.
This call for proposal process invites applications that advance WD’s 2017 investment priorities, which are:
- Clean technology (clean tech): Building on the competitive advantages of innovative clusters in Western Canada to grow the clean tech sector by supporting the development, commercialization, and export of clean tech products and processes.
- Indigenous economic growth (IEG): Increasing the number of Indigenous entrepreneurs and businesses, and ensure Indigenous communities in Western Canada are well positioned to capitalize on significant economic development and growth opportunities. Preference will be given to IEG applications submitted by Indigenous organizations or those with Indigenous partners.
The following not-for profit organizations are eligible to apply for WDP funding:
a. Industry associations, economic development organizations, cultural organizations, and societies;
b. Post-secondary institutions;
d. Hospitals and regional health care centres;
e. Indigenous-led not-for-profits and organizations which may include but are not limited to First Nations as represented by their Chief and Council, Tribal Councils, Indigenous Representative Organizations, Métis and Inuit organizations, and Settlements as well as First Nation/Métis Settlement wholly-owned businesses where all profits accrue solely to the First Nation/Settlement to benefit community members;
f. Municipal Governments and organizations created by them;
g. Federal Crown Corporations (Treasury Board Secretariat will be consulted prior to any funding decisions for federal Crown corporations); and,
h. Provincial Government Departments, agencies, and Crown Corporations (although eligible within the WDP Terms
Manager, Trade and Development
Western Economic Diversification, Canada, Government of Canada