Measures to Enhance Criminal Justice System Responses to Adult Sexual Assault in Canada
Program SummaryThe objective of this Call for Proposals is to fund projects that help to enhance the criminal justice system response to adult complainants of sexual assault, improve their access to justice and increase their confidence in the justice system.
To support this objective, the Government of Canada has allocated resources in the Victims Fund specifically for projects that seek to identify and address any of the following:
- Projects, training or services designed to enhance access to justice for complainants (survivors and victims) in sexual assault matters, particularly in relation to reporting, testifying and providing victim impact statements;
- Projects or services available for adult survivors of sexual assault to fill identified gaps at various stages throughout the criminal justice process;
- Pilot support services tailored to the specific needs of populations especially at risk for adult sexual assault, including Indigenous women (on-reserve, off-reserve and urban Indigenous populations), women with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgendered, questioning, queer, intersex and two-spirited (LGBTQQI2S) and gender non-conforming communities, as well as adult victims human trafficking for the purposes of sexual exploitation; and
- Develop and deliver training for criminal justice professionals (such as police, Crowns or victim service providers) and other first responders (such as paramedics) on sexual assault law and the unique considerations that should be taken into account when working with adult survivors of sexual violence, especially when they are a member of a particularly vulnerable population.
For the purpose of this call for proposals, the following organizations are eligible:
- Not-for-profit non-governmental organizations;
- Professional organizations, such as the Canadian Bar Association or the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police;
- Municipal and regional governments and agencies; and
- Bands, Tribal Councils and self-governing First Nations who are working to provide services and assistance to victims of crime in Indigenous communities.
Victims Fund Manager
General Victims Fund: 613.941.4193
Department of Justice Canada
284 Wellington Street, 6th Floor