Indigenous Languages Component (ILC) 2021-2022
The Indigenous Languages Component supports the efforts of Indigenous communities and Indigenous organizations to reclaim, revitalize, maintain and strengthen Indigenous languages.
Expected results include the following:
- Indigenous communities have access to resources to deliver activities that incorporate Indigenous languages;
- Indigenous individuals and groups are engaged in activities that strengthen Indigenous languages; and
- Indigenous individuals and groups are engaged as an integral part of Canadian society and embrace and share their languages with other Canadians.
To be eligible for funding, you must be a Canadian organization or group, democratically held and managed, and in good standing:
- Indigenous not-for-profit organization;
- Indigenous governing body i.e. a council, government or other entity that is authorized to act on behalf on an Indigenous group, community or people that holds rights recognized and affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution Act, 1982;
- Indigenous ad hoc committee that have formed to do a specific project;
- For profit Indigenous organization, provided that the project for which you are requesting funding will not result in income generation for your sole benefit;
- Indigenous-led institution including accredited programs; and
- In exceptional circumstances to be approved by the Program, non-Indigenous not-for-profit organization, in close partnership with Indigenous organizations.
Department of Canadian Heritage
Indigenous Languages and Cultures Program
15 Eddy St, 8th Floor
Gatineau, QC, K1A 0M5 (15-8-E)
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
- Applicants that are interested in applying for multi-year funding (2021-2022 and 2022-2023) must submit their application for both years by February 22, 2021. Applicants approved for funding for two years in 2021-2022 cannot submit another application in the 2022-2023 call for applications.