The Aboriginal Peoples Program
The objectives of the Aboriginal Peoples’ Program (APP) are to:
- promote, revitalize and preserve Indigenous languages and cultures;
- strengthen Indigenous cultural identity; and,
- increase Indigenous participation in Canadian society.
The APP offers two funding components to eligible Indigenous organizations: Aboriginal Languages Initiative (See Arts & Culture Tab) and Northern Aboriginal Broadcasting.
NORTHERN ABORIGINAL BROADCASTING Eligible organizations must provide broadcast communications north of the Hamelin Line, which is drawn at the 55th parallel and defines the Canadian North for purposes of policy.
Eligible recipients include not-for-profit, democratically controlled:
- not-for-profit, democratically controlled Indigenous organizations incorporated under Part II of the Canada Corporations Act or under corresponding provincial or territorial legislation;
- independent Indigenous community groups that include ad-hoc committees defined as a temporary committee set up to do a specific task and are not a permanent standing committee;
- non-Indigenous organizations working in partnership with Indigenous organizations or Indigenous advisory committees in situations where incorporated Indigenous organizations or Indigenous community groups do not exist.
Applicants previously funded by the Department of Canadian Heritage are eligible only if they are in compliance with previously signed contribution agreements, including all reporting requirements.
Contact InformationDepartment of Canadian Heritage
Prairies and Northern Region
300-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg MB R3C 0C4
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 1-866-811-0055 (toll-free)
- TTY: 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)